Sunday, April 7, 2013

General Conference April 2013

I'm so glad conference comes every 6 months! It comes just in time to lift my spirits and remind myself to do better! We missed the first session on Saturday because we were both working but we caught up with the second session! As tradition, the boys (Kirk, his dad and brothers) went to Priesthood session and then dinner at Joe's BBQ afterwards!
Sunday morning we were invited to the Woodruff's house with Logan and Blair to watch the first session! Cherri had made french toast casserole and homemade syrup for breakfast!


Soon after we went to the Regnell's house for lunch! We had spicy fajitas, watermelon, rice and mac-n-cheese! We sat in the front living room and watched the talks on the projector screen which was pretty awesome! The dogs, Bif and Molly, hung out with us and my mom painted Alyn's toenails!







The lessons are always great! One that really stuck out to me was Saturday afternoon's session! Elder Bednar's talk called "We Believe in Being Chaste" was awesome! He talked about the standards the church upholds of chastity but also about the reason behind the principle. One quote that sums it up is, "Our Heavenly Father and His Beloved Son are creators and have entrusted each of us with a portion of Their creative power." It especially hit me because of an experience I had about 2 weeks ago!
I work with a lady named Lisa who has a 20 year old daughter, Deja. Deja goes to the University of Arizona and was visiting for spring break! Lisa was cutting her hair when I walked by. Lisa said "Whitney when you get a few minutes do you mind talking with Deja about how you saved yourself?"....I paused for a second, not knowing what she was talking about, and said, "sure." Then she asked if we could go in a back room to speak in private. I was a little confused since I dont know Deja very well and wasn't sure what she mean by "being saved".
We went into the back room , shut the door and Deja pulled up 2 chairs. We sat down and she said, "my mom told me that you saved yourself for marriage and your husband. I want to also but want to know how and I dont know anyone that has done that." I was little taken back since A) She was asking me about a semi private topic...my chastity and B) that she didnt know anyone who had lived that way. I took a second to gather my thoughts and started telling her about things that were important to me like looking for a worthy man, dating only those who had the same standards as me, the reason why we have these guidelines and things to be aware of. She asked if after we were married things were weird and I told her no, they are even more special because you have a bond with your husband that youve never had before, you can give him 100% of yourself and you get 100% of him also. She said in college everyone is her age but no one lives this principle, that she appreciated the talk and that her boyfriend also wanted to wait for marriage. I told her he was a respectful man and one to hold on to!
When I heard Elder Bednar's talk I immediatly thought of Deja and made a plan to share his message with her!
I love this gospel with all my heart and know our leader's are inspired of God and know what we need to hear! These principles keep us safe and bring joy into our lives!
Only 6 more months til the next conference! Let the countdown begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment